Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Stock



I finally did it!  I have been dying to try the easy-peasy method of crockpot stock. Now there is no going back!

Have you done this before? If not, here are my simple instructions.

  1. Save chicken bones and discards in the freezer.   (over the course of a month--we don't eat a ton of meat, so you might accumulate this much quicker-- we added to a zippered bag in the freezer: the carcass from a rotisserie chicken, leftovers from bbq chicken, various scraps,etc.)
  2. Put scraps in the crockpot, fill with water until chicken and bones are covered. Add a handful each of chopped onion, carrots and celery.
  3. Set to low and let it do it's thing for a day. I went almost a full 24 hours.  
At this point I let it cool, then put in a glass container to store until we used it to make soup the next day.  It formed a perfect gel!

I added salt, pepper and herbs to taste after heating to reuse.


Another cool thing that happens?  The bones practically disintegrate after all that long, slow cooking.  Marrow and goodness all leeched into my wonderful, delicious, nutrient-rich stock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it! Thanks for posting this!!